Nestled in the Te Aroha hills, Rawhiti Environmental Park is certified as New Zealand’s highest welfare pork. They have the strictest standards of animal health, welfare, hygiene and cleanliness. In addition to the farm, they also run a community waste recycling programme.
The role of Gestation Manager has now become available. In this role you will be responsible for the artificial insemination (AI) of pigs and then ensuring the highest level of care during the gestation period. You will need to have the welfare of the animals in the forefront of your mind at all times and will during the course of each day be tasked with: feeding; maintaining body condition; maintaining a clean water supply; moving pigs; maintaining and defining farrowing numbers; oestrus detection and mating or use of AI. In addition you will do pregnancy testing, routine vaccinations and follow strict farm bio security controls.
To be successful in this role, we are specifically looking for someone who has:
· Experience working with pigs ideally with AI experience;
· A flexible approach; and able to work well as part of a small team;
· Be physically fit;
· Ideally a tertiary qualification in Agriculture or Animal Science;
· A calm and patient manner when handling animals;
· Mechanically minded - able to make minor repairs if required
· Good written and numeric skills to record farm data and breeding statistics
· A passion for providing the highest welfare focus to the animals
The role is offered on a 5 on / 2 off roster basis. If you think you have the skills and experience that we’re looking for and a desire to work for one of the best farms of this kind in the country, then we’d like to hear from you.
Please note our pre-employment process includes a criminal history check and drug screening test.